HIGHER SECONDARY EDUCATION BOARD
Compulsory English – Class 12
Examination Year – 2064
Time – 3 hrs | F.M. – 100 | P.M. – 35
Attempt all the questions.
1. Read the following passage and answer the questions below: [5 × 3 = 15]
We were summoned to his room at the end of the day. Under normal conditions, he would welcome us with a smile, crack a joke or two, talk of nothing in particular for a couple of minutes and state the actual business. But today we found him dry and sullen. He motioned us to our seats and said, ?Could you imagine a worse shock for me ? I came across a student of the English Honours who did not know till this day that ?honours? had to be spelt with a ?u?. He finished his sentence with a sharp, grim laugh. We looked at each other at a loss to know what to reply. Our Assistant Professor, Gajapathy, scowled at us as if it were us who had induced the boy to drop the ?u?. Brown cleared his throat as a signal for further speech, and we watched his lips. He began to lecture on the importance of the English language, and the need for preserving its purity. Brown?s thirty years in India and had not been ill spent if they had opened the eyes of Indians to the need for speaking and writing correct English !
(a) What did Brown use to do in normal conditions ?
(b) Why was Brown in a worse shock that very days ?
(c) What did Ganapathy?s scowling indicate ?
(d) On what issue did Brown begin to lecture before his college staff?
(e) Summarize the passage in about 40 words.
2. Rewrite the following sentences below using ?must, can?t or might/may?. [5 × 1 = 5]
(a) Perhaps she didn?t get what you said.
(b) I?m sure they have left.
(c) Maybe the election will be postponed.
(d) It?s possible that there will be peace in Nepal.
(e) Obviously the gardener was not serious.
3. Choose one of the verbs in the list to report each of the remarks below: [5 × 1 = 5]
urge, insist, advise, suggest, threaten, recommend
Example : It?s very important for you to give up drinks.
Ans: He urged me to give up drinks.
(a) I?ll report you to the police if you don?t do what I say.
(b) Why don?t you start medicine if you can?t bear the pain.
(c) No, I?ve already told you- I am going to pay.
(d) You really ought to have your bike serviced, you see.
(e) You should try it once again. You may win.
4. Fill the gaps in the sentences below with ?for?, ?in?, ?until?or ?by?. [5 × 1 = 5]
(a) Last night we talked ___ two in the morning.
(b) They will be here __. a couple of hours.
(c) She studied Spanish ___.. five years.
(d) The food will be ready ___. 9:30.
(e) He learnt to swim ___ three weeks.
5. Write a sentence each using the following information showing right order of the action: [5 × 1 = 5]
Example : clean a wound / bandage it
Yes should clean a wound before you bandage it.
(a) wash your hands / eat.
(b) close your windows / go out.
(c) have some driving lessons / take your driving test.
(d) clean your teeth / go to bed.
(e) test the temperature of the water / bathe the baby.
6. Write a sentence showing how the following pairs of events happened in rapid succession using ?No sooner?. [5 × 1 = 5]
(a) My grandfather retired / he had a heart attack.
(b) Shama went to bed / Shama heard a strange noise.
(c) The plane took off / three hijackers walked into the cabin.
(d) The new exhibition hall was opened / it was destroyed by fire.
(e) We had the washing machine repaired / it broke down again.
7. Join the following sentence together using a relative clause: [5 × 1 = 5]
(a) Finally Browne decided to retire.
Willis had been sharing an office with him.
(b) The old house was finally sold.
The family had lived in it for 300 years.
(c) He proudly showed me round his house.
He had paid 40 lakhs for it.
(d) He became quite fond of his college.
He had spent many years of his life there.
(e) Harold finally asked her to marry him.
She had always been in love with him.
8. Write a paragraph predicting future developments concerning world population using the ideas below: Birth control, government control, new sources of food, disease, longer life. 
9. Suppose that your foreign friend is visiting Nepal in the near future. Write a letter to him or her describing about the places he or she should visit. (Suppose: you are Bidhyapati and your school?s name is Rara Higher Secondary School, Mugu)[1×10=10]
10. Write a review for a newspaper of a recent film or a play you enjoyed or a book you read. [1 × 10 = 10]
11. Write a ?police description? of a person you know well. [1 × 5 = 5]
12. Answer any five questions. [5 × 3 = 15]
(a) How did Alyohin define love ? (About Love)
(b) Why did the boy have to prove who he was? (The Last Voyage of the Ghost Ship)
(c) What is the main idea of the essay? (Women?s Business)
(d) Describe the scene when the narrator killed the old man.(The Tell ? Tale Heart)
(e) How do the adoption agencies find the potential parents ?(The Children Who Wait)
(f) The plan was to go to Porthcawl for the outing. Did they ever reach there ? Why ? (A Story)
13. Answer any one of the following questions. [1 × 10 = 10]
(a) Sketch the character of Mrs. Mooney. (The Boarding House)
(b) ?We are always punished for our sins.? Elaborate this statement. (Purgatory)
- HSEB Compulsory English | Question Paper 2064 with Answers | Class 12
Tag:2064 Class 12 Compulsory English Question Paper, 2064 Compulsory English Question Paper, 2064 Exam Papers HSEB Class 12, 2064 HSEB Compulsory English Question Paper, 2064 Question Papers HSEB Compulsory English, Class 12 Compulsory English 2064 Question Paper, Class 12 Question Paper English 2064, HSEB 2604 Question Paper Compulsory English Class 12, HSEB Compulsory English Question Papers 2064, HSEB Exam, HSEB Exam Paper, HSEB Question Paper, HSEB Question Papers 2064