Pokhara University (PU)
Syllabus of ?Business Mathematics II?
BBA (Bachelor of Business Administration)
For: First Year | Second Semester
MTH 102.3 | Credit Hours: 3
This Course aims to provide students with a sound understanding of calculus and linear algebra for business decisions.
- Applications of Derivatives: 5 hours
Revenue, Cost and Profit Applications, Marginal approach to profit maximization, Elasticity, Market model
- Functions of Several Variables: 6 hours
Functions of variables, Partial derivatives, Partial and total differentials, Higher order differentials
- Optimization: Functions of Several Variables: 7 hours
Maxima and minima of functions of several variables, Lagrange multiplier and constrained optimization, Competitive equilibrium of a firm, Monopoly price and output, Discriminating monopolists
- Integration and its Applications: 10 hours
Indefinite integrals, Techniques of integration, Definite integrals, Improper integrals, Applications, Ordinary differential equations
- Series: 4 hours
Series; geometric series, Taylor series
- Vector: 5 hours
Vector; vector spaces, Linear dependence, Basis
- Matrices and Determinant: 11 hours
Types of matrices, Matrix operations, Matrix representation of equations, Determinant, Inverse of a matrix, Cramer?s rule, Applications of matrix algebra, Input Output model.
- Budnick, Frank S.: Applied Mathematics for Business, Economics and the Social Sciences, Fourth Edition, McGraw-Hill, Inc
- Yamane, Taro: Mathematics for Economist: An Elementary Survey, Second Edition, Prentice Hall of India.
- Chiang, Alpha C.: Fundamental Methods of Mathematical Economics, McGraw-Hill International.
- Goldstein Larry J., David C. Lay and David I. Schneider: Calculus and its Applications, Prentice Hall of International
- Shrestha and Thakurathi: Mathematics for Business and Economics, Buddha Academic Enterprises.